Sunday, August 1, 2010

Art Day

I've had sooooo much fun this last couple of days!!

Thanks to the lovely Miss Jane .... the new boss lady over at the Boxx.... and her 'fauvism challenge', I've taken some serious me time and created a canvas!!!

Yep, me!  A canvas!

I'm so pleased with it and the whole process has been wonderfully cathartic.  Something totally devoted to me... not for the albums, not for prosterity, not for the kids to enjoy in years to come .... just me!
I've been up to my elbows (literally) in paint and glue and texture paste.  And I LOVED it!

The challenge dictated that we choose a piece of fauvism art and use it as inspiration for a page/project.
This is the piece that I chose:  Cefalu Seaside, by Elise Palmigiani.

Something about the colours and technique just jumped out at me straight away.
To start with I glued down lots of ephemera to do with my creative life.... from receipts of arty purchases to packaging from supplies and letters from scrapbooking magazines.... stuff that really has meaning in my creative pursuits.  Then I started out trying to reproduce the piece over the top, but decided that wasn't really what I wanted.... so I painted over it, leaving lots of the background still showing through... (very appropriate considering the quote.. :)).  The rest just kinda evolved and appeared from somewhere!

I used old MM foam letter stamps, Kaisercraft number stamps, old transparencies I'd forgotten I had, chipboard circles that were unnamed when I bought them so I don't know where they are from, gorgeous Tim Holtz and 7 Gypsies Tape, Heidi Swapp polka dot mask, paper scraps cut into circles, old rubons, dressmaking pattern pp, Kaisercraft chipboard letters, texture paste..... and lots and lots of paint!!


I'm not sure if it's done yet.  I think I'll live with it on the wall for a while before I call it done.  I may still cover the J in dressmakers pattern pieces.  Actually, on second thoughts.... I might rip it off, paint it red and hang it beside the canvas  :)).  One day, when I'm all grown up and have a room of my own...
it will no doubt take pride of place above my workspace  (hehe) ...
for now, it will live on a wall somewhere in the house!

Here are some close ups:

...thanks for visiting and thank you Miss Jane for such a fabulous prompt,
or I may never have discovered I could have this much fun with canvas!!

Cheers and bye for now...

6 comments:

Leanne said...

Just gorgeous Julie! I love it and you should be very proud of your art! ...x

Anonymous said...

Wow...awesome Julie! Love it!

Shell said...

Julie this is truly STUNNING. Im sure it will look fabulous on your wall.
Very inspiring. x

Leanne J said...

i REALLY REALLY LOVE it and it would look great with an "L" on it..lol.. just jokes.. seriously though i do love it.. and not sure about painting the J.. but if your serious.. love idea of the dress makers patterns so why dont you dilute some red paint or used glimmermist and dye the pattern.. might work..just a thought..or just leave it or ignore what i have just said completely... and how GOOD does it feel to do something totally for yourself.. keep up the awesomeness.......... LOTS of love and sugar.... from ME>>.....

Cathy said...

WOW just love your canvas, stunning work!! :)

Marilyn said...

Julie, I love it....a great piece of art!!